Monday, August 9, 2010

The Sacrament of Waiting

A priest once said that sacrament is like the soil from which the plant get its primary nourishment to people like us who wants to get closer to God. There are different sacraments, each serving its unique purpose. Some can be instituted more than once, others are free anytime.

Some people say that waiting is a sacrament. I did not have the complete idea why. I never get to wait. All I want, I will get, at my own time. All I can do, I will even without help. I can be by myself, never needing anyone. I do not want to need anybody. Perhaps, its because I do not want to wait for them. Why do, when I can be like an island – untouched and detached.

But now, perhaps I slightly understood why it is called a sacrament.

Because I had to learn how to wait.

I understood the need to wait:
For other people, upon realization that I do need them and their help.
For the pain to subside, after finally learning to admit that no matter how I try to be always right, I am still flesh and blood.
For things to be settled, for at one point in one’s life, it gets too tiring to have a quick fix on everything. Relationships do get messed up. People do cause deep hurts to each other.
For blessings to be received. I can do many things. I can achieve many things. But not everything. And I realized that I would have not achieved what I had by myself.
For forgiveness to be given.
For relationships to be mended.
For people I lost to come back.
For the faithfulness to my One True Love to be learned and exercised commitedly.
For dreams to be weaved and fulfilled.

Waiting is a sacrament because it develops the godliness in a person. It brings a person closer to God. Because when one waits, one has to believe even what seems impossible. One has to truly listen to his heart. Is this waiting all worth it? Why do I have to wait when I can have a detour? Will this waiting be good for me?

How long shall one wait? Until he can take it? Until his boredom does not eat him alive? Until when he can keep his sanity and faith? Until he can bear the pain of unforgiveness and unmended relationship? Until he gains discipline? Until he learns how to listen to his heart intently so he will know that the waiting is over?

Or perhaps, until when waiting has developed the wisdom to just be peaceful and happy despite not having everything one has been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment