Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Freedom Walk 2012

In an effort to defunct the 3-year stint of freedom climb which is quite too much for local mountains due to a large number of people climbing at the same time, SRMP organized the Freedom Walk 2012 so that mountaineers can still channel their energies into something as worthwhile...




I woke up at 4:10 am and braved the rain as I joined my mountaineering group -Trailmaster Outdoor Group or TMOG meet with the other groups in Luneta...



Some are not even mountaineering group - like the Philippine Dragon Boat Federation.


Overall, there are more than 200 mountaineers who chose to join the walk to say NO TO MASSIVE CLIMB. The group commenced at 7:43 am, a few minutes before the flag raising led by Vice President Jejomar Binay.


But before we go, of course, we took a picture at kilometer 0. A few years back, I didn't know that this is the reference point for all the kilometer markers found around the country.


Good thing that as we start the walk, the heavy downpour subsided to light drizzle, making the weather a little cooler.




 I guess, reasons for joining the walk vary. Some joined for the lack of nothing else to do, some to see how far they can go, some just want to express their love for freedom through a seemingly pointless sacrifice as walking 25 kms under the blistering heat of the sun and scattered rainshowers. As I tread the last few kilometers to the Aguinaldo Shrine with limping legs and blistered toes, my personal reason for joining became clearer. It was a freedom walk from my self-defined boundaries and a statement that I can do anything that I put my heart and faith into. Doing it during the celebration of the nation's independence is an acknowledgement that a progressive Philippines need free citizens who know no boundaries in utilizing their full potential to serve the nation.




HAPPY 114TH FREEDOM DAY PHILIPPINES!

No comments:

Post a Comment